Wednesday, September 5, 2012

it's official!

Our "not back to school" photo:
Ella is teaching Liam to say "squirrel"
Well, here we are on the second day of school. Actually, I guess that's not where WE are at all. That's where everyone else is. At least that's what it feels like to me. Most of my news feed on facebook over the past two days has been filled with photos of kids starting school: kids in cute backpacks, kids in mismatched "first day of school" outfits, kids in uniforms, kids with lunchboxes, kids laughing, kids looking close to tears, tiny kids standing in front of huge school buildings, huge kids standing in front of huge school buildings...you get the picture. It feels like we are the only ones on the planet NOT going to school this week!

Up until today, all this "home education" stuff was just something we were planning to do, but now that the first day of kindergarten has come and gone, it seems official. We are officially homeschooling. Not going to school. Huh.

I admit, I am a little nervous. Or a lot nervous. I mean, if homeschooling is so great, why aren't more people doing it? If school is so terrible, why are so many kids there today? Are we doing the right thing? Perhaps after reading my blog, you might think that I have it all figured out, but let me assure you that I do not. As with any important parenting decision, all I can do is learn as much as I can, pray as much as I can, and hope that my kids turn out ok.

Don't get me wrong, though, because I am absolutely convinced that we are doing the best thing for our kids and our family. I am so thankful that they are here with me today instead of at school. I am so thankful that we have the freedom to be able to do this financially. I am so excited for the journey that God is leading our family on. But we all have doubts sometimes, right? Especially when we are doing something so out of the ordinary, against the grain, and just plain different than everyone else.

I was encouraged by an email that I got yesterday from a Canadian homeschooling association. They did a survey of education standards across the country, and found that children are well prepared for the first grade if they can do the following:
  • recognize alphabet and some words;
  • print first name;
  • count and recognize numbers up to 20, group items together according to the number;
  • know basic shapes, sort and classify objects and animals;
  • communicate by asking questions and telling simple stories or facts;
  • express their feelings;
  • understand how to share;
  • listen to others;
  • understand and follow simple directions;
  • start to understand time, i.e., calendar;
  • know facts about their community; and
  • be able to create a drawing and enjoy music.

Well, if that's all it takes to graduate kindergarten, then Liam is ready for the first grade. I think I can handle this whole homeschooling thing. And I know God can handle all my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment