Saturday, September 15, 2012

saying "yes" to cupcakes

I have recently decided to make a conscious effort to say "yes" to my kids more often, intentionally and unselfishly. Sometimes that means letting them wear old ballet costumes all day long, or eating a lunch consisting entirely of foods that are orange. Many times it means going to the playground when I don't really feel like it, or watching for hours on end while they perform a "show" for me.

Recently, I said "yes" to a library book.

Ella found a book all about cupcake decorating and decided she would take it home, find a recipe, and make it. To me it sounded like a lot of work for no reason. To her it sounded like the greatest idea ever. So I said "yes."

The whole ride home she poured over the book. She asked me about different ingredients, and realized that she would need to go to the store. She told me we would need butter that is very soft, at which point Liam piped up from the back to inform us all that we would have to take the butter out of the fridge for a long time to make it soft. When we got home she sat and looked at the book for hours. She showed me pictures of her favourite cupcakes. She showed me pictures of amazing cupcakes. She shared her enthusiasm every time she read something that delighted her.

The finished product!
Finally, she chose the cupcakes that she would make: chocolate cupcakes with chocolate fudge topping and jelly beans. So we went to the kitchen to see what ingredients we would need. She sat at the table, book spread open, pen in hand, ready to make a list. She wrote down all the things she needed, and we were off.

At the grocery store, she found the items on her list, and crossed them off. We had to go to another store to find peanut-free jelly beans, and then we were done. As soon as we got home, Ella rushed to the kitchen to start assembling the ingredients. And, of course, she made sure to put on her apron.

She followed all the instructions, reading them aloud from the book for me. At first she read every fraction she saw as "half," so we had to pause for a quick lesson in fractions - what 1/2 and 1/4 and 3/4 actually mean, and how to say them. I showed her how to turn on the oven, how to measure the dry ingredients, how to measure the butter (after some brief calculating to figure out how much exactly 7 tablespoons is equal to), and how to use the Kitchen Aid mixer. She showed me that she already knew how to crack the eggs into the bowl. Liam put the cupcake papers into the tin and counted them, learning what a "dozen" means.

After they were baked, we started on the topping. I showed the kids how a double boiler works and why we use it to melt chocolate. They stood at the stove stirring as the chocolate melted and the sauce thickened. They were so amazed at the transformation! And then came the best part - decorating. Ella spooned the sauce onto the cupcakes and then we added the jelly beans on top. Done!

They were so proud of their work, and SO excited to try them, so when they asked if we could have cupcakes at 4:30 in the afternoon, what else could I say but, "Yes!" Although I had to draw the line when Liam asked for a second one at 4:35. I still have to say "no" sometimes.

So it turned out to be pretty easy to say "yes" to this particular request. It took up a whole day of our time, but we have the freedom to do that. Ella practiced her reading, writing, math, and learned a bunch of baking skills, all the time having fun. A pretty good day, in my books.

By the way, the cupcakes were delicious. I'm glad I said "yes" this time.


1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome say yes story! My kids love to bake and they really do learn so much when I put them in charge of different tasks in the kitchen. This year, they want to make a few types of cookies all on their own!

    ReplyDelete